Digital Scriptorium (DS) is a consortium of American libraries and museums committed to providing cross-institutional digital access to their collections of premodern manuscripts.
To enhance access and appreciation of historically significant but often understudied manuscript materials.
To fulfill our mission, DS commits to
- building a digital national union catalog for global premodern manuscripts in North America based on Linked Open Data technologies and practices;
- promoting best practices for manuscript description in the digital age;
- facilitate research that provides answers, provoke questions, and invite collaboration;
- create a community of scholars, librarians, curators, and other citizen-scholars for the purpose of sharing the scholarship and expertise of the collections, the academy, and cultural heritage communities;
- support open access to works in the public domain; and
- support and facilitate the digitization of member institutions’ collections.
DS is a 501c3 tax-exempt non-profit organization. We are grateful to VLAA for pro-bono advice regarding governance and financial management.