Digital Scriptorium (DS) is a consortium of American libraries and museums committed to providing cross-institutional digital access to their collections of pre-modern manuscripts.
To enhance access and appreciation of historically significant but often understudied manuscript materials.
To fulfill our mission DS commits to the establishment of a digital union catalog that will:
- provide bibliographic descriptions according to recognized standards of practice;
- include images that complement, expand, and correct verbal descriptions;
- facilitate searches that provide answers, provoke questions, and invite collaboration;
- create a community of scholars, librarians, curators, and other citizen-scholars for the purpose of sharing the scholarship and expertise of the collections, the academy, and cultural heritage communities;
- support open access to works in the public domain.
DS is a 501c3 tax-exempt non-profit organization. We are grateful to VLAA for pro-bono advice regarding governance and financial management.