Monthly Board Meeting (Virtual)
15 October 2020
2:00-3:00 pm ET / 1:00-2:00 pm CT / 11:00-12:00 PT
In attendance: Lynn Ransom, David Faulds, Lisa Fagin Davis, Ray Clemens, Vanessa Wilkie, Emma Thomson, Janine Pollock, Tamar Evangelistia-Dougherty, Sue Steuer
● Welcome new members!
Lynn Ransom opened the meeting and welcomed new board members: Ray Clemens, Tamar Evangelistia-Dougherty, and Sue Steuer.
● Roles and Committee assignments
○ Confirm office holders: Lynn Ransom as President,
moved, Tamar; Sue Steuer seconded. Approved
○ Membership Committee
Need for new committee chair as Vanessa Wilkie is now Treasurer.
Plan for a series of meetings with individual members.
Contact Lynn Ransom by October 22 if interested in volunteering.
○ DS 2.0 Steering Committee
Tamar Evangelistia-Dougherty’s position will be taken by Andrew Hicks, faculty member at Cornell.
○ Elections Committee
Volunteers should contact Lynn Ransom.
○ Website management (Committee?)
Ray Clemens volunteered for this position. Proposal for series of Twitter and blog posts about manuscripts in DS. Will use the existing DS 2.0 Twitter account. Posts will be scheduled on a regular basis. Retweeting is another way to provide content and raise the profile of DS. Lisa Fagin Davis will provide a list of members’ twitter handles to Ray Clemens.
Link to bylaws: https://digital-scriptorium.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Digital_Scriptorium_Bylaws_24Oct2016.pdf
● Treasurer’s Report (VW)
David Faulds or Lynn Grigsby will provide a new contact person at Berkeley. More to report at the next meeting as Treasurer position is transferred. Vanessa is interested in clarifying some procedures and processes, as well as payment levels and schedules.
● Membership Report/New Business (currently VW)
Two institutions, Ohio State and the Newberry Library, are possibly interested in joining DS. Meetings will be scheduled with them. UCLA and USC will be approached to assess interest in membership.
● DS board, member, and community communications
Lynn Ransom is looking into communication packages for board communication. Will try using Mailchimp.
● Update (ET); Moved to next meeting
● Penn Proposal document
Penn needs a letter from the board and advisory council laying out the case for the university to take over hosting from Berkeley. Motion by Vanessa Wilkie, seconded by Ray Clemens. Approved.
● Possible HMML Collaboration: (cf notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yb2axiso7-05L4SwR0C5OOIKl362joYdxBmCfvUXMDQ/edit?usp=sharing)
HMML may collaborate with others to help catalogue small manuscript collections.
● Membership DS 2.0 outreach strategy Moved to next meeting
○ To determine: what are data needs? How is ms cataloging managed at each institution? What would be your source data? Etc
○ Volunteers to attend outreach meetings